Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Chocolate Cornbread


Brian, Avery and I usually eat at home during the week. I usually cook up something for supper every night. It might be something you pop in the microwave, but it works! So, Monday morning before I went to work, I put some pinto beans in the crock pot to cook all day. I worked, went to a funeral, went to pick up Avery, then made it home. We eat EARLY at our house. We are usually eating supper at 5 on the dot. I have that kindergarten schedule in me so I eat an early lunch and I am usually starving by 4:30 or 5. Anyway, I got home and started getting supper ready because I had a school board meeting to go to and had to leave the house by 5:45. So the beans are done, all I lack is the cornbread.....not a problem. All I need is eggs and milk. I open the fridge to get the eggs and milk and realize that I'm out of white milk! Avery will NOT drink just plain Jane white milk so we buy the premixed strawberry or chocolate. I sit there for a second contemplating on what to do. I really don't have time to drive to the store, and would cornbread be the same without milk?? So I think...strawberry or chocolate? Which one would work the best and most important, which one will fool Brian. If you know Brian at all, you know he is one PICKY eater. I mean picky of the pickiest. I knew in order to pull this off, he could not suspect that there was anything "weird" in the cornbread. So I decided to use the chocolate milk instead of the strawberry. I knew that the strawberry would turn the cornbread a pinkish color, and what would be my excuse for the pink?? I knew the chocolate milk would turn it more of a brown color and I thought of the best excuse....I could tell him it was WHEAT CORNBREAD! After all, he just got finished working out and he wants to start eating healthier. So dinner is done, and the cornbread looks great! A little on the brown side, but I think I can pull this off. I hear Brian open the door and immediately hear him say "What's up with the cornbread?" I cringe a little and say "It's wheat cornbread, and it's really good!" So that was that, surprisingly not another word from him. We all sat down for dinner. Brian and Avery were both tearing up their pinto beans and cornbread. During dinner, Brian even commented on how good it was. So, those of you who know me know that I have to come clean if I tell a fib....usually within minutes! So, when Brian got up to go get seconds on his cornbread, I came clean and told him the real story! He smiled and said it was good and just kept on eating it. Just know that if you are out of white milk and want to make some cornbread, chocolate milk will work! It's good and it even makes the cornbread sweet!!!

2 comments:

Boni Williamson said...

Kimmie! I had no idea you had a blog! Avery is adorable!

This story is hilarious! I am glad to know you guys are doing so wonderfully! I am going to start reading your blog, so keep up the good work.

smerch said...

Thank you so much for this blog entry! I was making a casserole that has cornbread on the top and only had chocolate milk! Like you I didn't spill the beans still everyone said the cornbread/casserole was really good :)